Understanding Barriers to Our Own Thinking
From the www.procon.org Website, select one (1) topic of your choice and read the Pro section and the Con section on the selected topic. Next, choose three (3) reasons listed under the Pro section and three (3) reasons listed under the Con section. Based on the biases discussed in Chapter 2 and the reasons presented at the Procon.org website:
- State your position on the selected topic. Determine the biases you experienced as you examined the reasons for and against your position.
- Describe your reaction to your experience of these biases.
The selected topic is Should Abortion Be Legal?
3 reasons listed under the pro section
- The US Supreme Court has declared abortion to be a “fundamental right” guaranteed by the US Constitution.
- Reproductive choice empowers women by giving them control over their own bodies.
- Personhood begins after a fetus becomes “viable” (able to survive outside the womb) or after birth, not at conception
3 reasons listed under the con section
- Abortion is murder.
- Life begins at conception, so unborn babies are human beings with a right to life.
Abortion is the killing of a human…