- How has this class changed the way you will watch films? Describe your new approach to movie appreciation.
- Many new movies have elaborate and potentially misleading trailers. Think of an instance in which you went to watch a movie based on the trailer. Can you think of such an experience? How did the trailer entice you to watch a film you might not be drawn to? If so, what was the movie? Did you like it after being drawn in by the trailer? If possible, include a link to the trailer to share with your classmates.
3) How important is a film’s context to its overall effect? If a film is watched out of context, do you think its meaning would be lost? For example, think of a movie from the decade you were born or another film of your choice, as long as it is at least 10 years old. If the movie was watched now, would it be viewed differently? If so, how?
4) Watch “Prelude: Overview of Soviet Cinema Propaganda” located in the Week Five Electronic Reserve Readings link on the Video tab.
5) The Personal Meanings of Films
|Many people have a favorite movie, one that means something to them that the filmmakers may not have intended. Think about your favorite movies in terms of its personal significance to you.|
Be prepared to share your discussion with the class.
This class has proven to me that films are not only about entertainment. More than watching the characters play their role, I now find it hard to resist comparing the character roles and the congruence between the film and the trailer made to the film. With this in mind, films I would previously appreciate as well produced now fall…….