Explore the importance of EBP and its application to nursing and nursing practice
Welcome to Week Five! This week, we begin to explore the importance of EBP and its application to nursing and nursing practice. As we have learned, nurses can no longer rely on their clinical expertise to guide quality care. In order for quality care delivery to occur – the evidence, along with the expertise of the clinician AND the specific needs of the patient must be considered. As White et al. (2021) posit, there are five reasons for the USE of evidence to guide practice:
· Quality and safety movement in healthcare delivery;
· Tremendous growth of new knowledge available to clinicians;
· The considerable delay in incorporating the evidence into practice;
· A decline in best care knowledge for patient care; and,
· Tremendous consumer pressure for improved patient care.
As a result of these motives, the primary role of the DNP is the implementation of EBP into nursing and nursing practice. As part of this, the DNP is charged to be the expert in translation science – as his/her role is to translate the existing evidence into practice. This week, we explore three major THEORIES of TRANSLATIONAL SCIENCE – the ART of bringing the existing evidence into practice. This week, you are asked to review ONE of three major translational science theories, apply it to your clinical practice problem, and then, assess how the theory and your role as a DNP assists in promoting nursing practice and quality improvement. To ensure that all three theories are explored, I have assigned each student to a specific theory:
This is my Assigned theory: Knowledge to Action (K2A) Theory:
You may wish to present your posting in the following manner:
· A brief description of your CLINICAL PRACTICE problem (you may use the clinical problem that you identified earlier in the semester).
· Your theory of translational science (see assignment above).
· How your theory AND your role as a DNP promotes nursing practice and quality improvement with the goal of positive patient and organizational outcomes.
· Concluding Thoughts
TRANSLATION MODELS AND FRAMEWORKS
Collaboration offers the advantage of other experiences and viewpoints to confirm or challenge your own. Discussions can do the same and for some topics, getting early feedback is especially valuable. This Discussion is one such example. As you dig into the science of translation and select a framework or model for your proposed EBP QI project, you can look to your class colleagues for a check on your choice and your reasoning.
Answer preview to explore the importance of EBP and its application to nursing and nursing practice