Mass Media and Healthcare Quality
In this assignment, you will assess how the general public’s perception of healthcare quality is influenced by the mass media.
Locate an article that reports on the quality of healthcare services. The article must be sourced from the mass media and not from an academic or healthcare journal. The purpose of this assignment is to review information reported to the general public in a news source that does not exclusively cover healthcare issues. Weekly magazines, such as Time, Newsweek, US News and World Report, Forbes, Money, and Consumer Reports, and newspapers, such as the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times, would be appropriate choices. The article may give various examples of good or bad quality instead of covering just one episode of care. Your selected article must be a comprehensive review or assessment of some aspect of healthcare services. Summarize the article. Be certain to indicate the basis for the report, that is, whether it is the result of academic research, an independent investigation, or something else.
Answer the following questions.
- In the article, what conditions, processes, or events are noted as good quality or poor quality healthcare? What is your own assessment of these conditions, processes, or events? Explain.
- Does the article assign responsibility to persons or processes for the problems or achievements it reports? Does it provide sufficient evidence for assigning responsibility? Why do you think so?
- What are the suggestions for healthcare quality improvement in the article?
- What is your reaction to this article as a consumer of healthcare services? In answering this question, note how the article uses language and any persuasive techniques.
- What is your reaction to this article as a provider of healthcare services? Why is this reaction the same as or different from your reaction as a consumer?
- Is the article fair in its reporting and assessing healthcare quality? Why or why not?
Provide reasons and evidence in support of your responses.
Comment on the postings of two of your classmates. Is your assessment the same or different? Why?
Be sure to cite any relevant resources used in framing your responses. Apply APA standards to cite sources.
The article, annual Physical checkup May be an Empty Ritual was written by Gina Kolata and posted on the New York Times on August 12, 2003. This article looks at the annual physical checkup that many people perform. According to the author, “checkups for people with no medical complaint remain the single most common reason for visiting a doctor, according to surveys by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.” however there is little support to give to the many tests that are commonly included in a typical exam for people who lack symptoms. We know that many diseases such as cancer are better…