- Determine whether you prefer Debussy or Mahler after listening to works by each at the Websites below or in this week’s Music Folder and after reading about them. Explain the reasons for your preference. Here we find musical composers inspired by poetry and by philosophy. Identify one (1) element within a work that you find interesting or intriguing by either composer, with regard to the manner in which the work is performed or conducted. Describe the types of things that inspire you to creativity.
Debussy and Mahler
- Chapter 33 (p. 1092), Debussy; (pp. 1103-1104), Mahler
- “Approaching Mahler and Debussy” – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYZ1mUupG7k
- Musical selections for Mahler – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RONBzkthUjM (Symphony No. 2, Finale; Resurrection Symphony) or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbRyttzUzjI (Symphony No. 1, 3rd Movement).
- Musical selection for Debussy — http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5A4CkUAazI (Prélude à l’après-midi d’un faune)
After listening to the two great composers, I found out that they both had great compositions and were passionate about their work. Their music shows that they knew the topics that they address so well and effectively. Through their compositions, they passed across the intended communication to their audiences. Their work though mostly done in the 20th century was so good to the ear given the instrumentals they…