Assignment 2: Research Proposal – Thesis, Major Points, and Plan
Due Week 3 and worth 120 points
Select a topic on which your persuasive writing paper will be focused.
Write a one to two (1-2) page research proposal in which you:
- Identify the topic you selected and explain two (2) reasons for using it.
- Include a defensible, relevant thesis statement in the first paragraph.
- Describe three (3) major characteristics of your audience (official position, decision-making power, current view on topic, other important characteristic).
- Describe the paper’s scope and outline the major sections.
- Identify and explain the questions to be answered.
- Explain your research plan, including the methods of researching and organizing research.
- Document at least three (3) primary sources and three (3) secondary sources. Use credible, academic sources available through Strayer University’s Resource Center. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting guidelines:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Recognize the elements and correct use of a thesis statement.
- Write a research proposal that states the claim and scope of the research project.
- Outline the main sections of the research project.
- Devise an ordered research plan to obtain appropriate resources.
- Write clearly and concisely about selected topics using proper writing mechanics.
- Use technology and information resources to research selected issues for this course.
view the grading rubric for this assignment.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic/organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric.
Identify the topic you selected and explain two (2) reasons for using it. Include a defensible, relevant thesis statement in the first paragraph.
The chosen topic is whether colleges should expel students caught cheating or plagiarizing. Cheating or plagiarizing has become very common in colleges despite the consequences. Students must be made to comprehend that cheating or plagiarism should be avoided at all costs. The offense may lead to education difficulties and the damage to a student reputation to the future employer thus affecting his or her career.
Describe three (3) major characteristics of your audience (official position, decision-making power, current view on topic, other important characteristic).
Regarding the official position, cheating or plagiarism must be addressed seriously. There are academic penalties where students are published for cheating or plagiarizing. The penalties may include complete failure in a class or a failing grade. It…