Assignment 2: Normalization
Suppose that you are the database developer for a local college. The Chief Information Officer (CIO) has asked you to provide a summary of normalizing database tables that the IT staff will use in the upcoming training session.
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
- Describe the steps that you would use in order to convert database tables to the First Normal Form, the Second Normal Form, and the Third Normal Form.
- Provide one (1) example that is relevant to a college environment that illustrates reasons for converting database tables to the First, Second, and Third Normal Forms.
- Explain typical situations when denormalizing a table is acceptable. Provide one (1) example of denormalizing a database table to justify your response.
- Explain the significant manner in which business rules impact both database normalization and the decision to denormalize database tables.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
· Recognize the purpose and principles of normalizing a relational database structure.
· Design a relational database so that it is at least in 3NF.
· Use technology and information resources to research issues in database systems.
· Write clearly and concisely about relational database management systems using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic / organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric.
CONVERTING A DATABASE TO NORMAL
Converting a database to normal takes steps normally, it has five steps but in this paper, we will convert to 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The first normalization step involves removing of the repeating groups. This means that you move the details from the parent table to a second one. This step will ensure that you have two copies of the same record on the database. These repeating groups are factors like, age, sex and age. The first step which has given you two tables allows you to have two copies of the same data.
The second one will act as a reference section. The second normalizing step is eliminating redundant details. This means that in the database, there should be no similar information of two clients. For instance, if it is in a school…