A well-established life sciences organization, that conducted hundreds of pre- and post-clinical studies in its long history, decided to take advantage of the current information technologies in the mobile computing domain in order to improve effectiveness and efficiency of their medical drug trials. In particular, they wanted to seek better ways of conducting their ongoing initiatives related to obesity research. The first step they took was to create a new Data Science unit in charge of data analytics, machine learning, and data integration. However, before making any sizable investments into a full-scale mobile computing program and getting “real” patients engaged, they wanted to run a hypothetical pilot to see whether their potential investment makes sense.
As a newly hired Data Architect right out of a challenging graduate program at UIC, your job on this particular assignment is to collaborate with the Information Technology infrastructure team to create a mocked architecture for such a project and present its outcomes to the management team. Since you cannot yet apply your skills with “real” patients and new devices, you are searching for data and tools to design your project on paper, in order to convince your bosses to take the next step and invest into the more advanced wave of development. You decided on the following strategy that requires no external budget to begin.
1. Read the Unit Introduction.
2. Complete the assigned readings.
3. By the deadline, post the deliverables of your Mobile Analytics Architecture Project for evaluation in the unit assignment folder and in Blackboard Collaborate (slide presentation).
Your deliverables for this assignment are:
- Word document with answers to points (1), (2), (3), and (5). Include your name and unit number on the document. Submit to assignment folder in this unit.
- PDF of your architecture diagram as answer to point (4). Include your name and unit number on the document. Submit to assignment folder in this unit.
- Create a Power Point presentation and save it as a PDF, to satisfy requirement (6) upload to Blackboard. Include your name and unit number on the document.
*Note 1: You are a designer starting with a clean sheet, so if it seems that there is a lot of ambiguity in this assignment, you are right, and this is the intention. This is a situation you could encounter in the job marketplace when you enter or re-enter the workforce. Successful data scientists and architects do not attempt to solve or improve existing solutions. They either resolve known big challenges or create new innovations.
*Note 2: Many examples of software and hardware architecture models can be found online, and some foundational courses in the BHIS program, such as 515 and 520, have already introduced these models and concepts. However, in this case, some considerations should be given to the following:
– How data is gathered by a mobile device and flows into and through the application
– Data flow from collection to analysis
– A diagram reflecting core parts of your architecture, and depicting how data flows between users and application subsystems.
– A description and analysis of all artifacts appearing on your diagram, with a detailed explanation.
*Note 3: Please remember to cite and reference in APA, to not plagiarize, and avoid using resources representing someone’s unverified opinions such as Wikipedia and online blogs. Professional literature can be used, but carefully scrutinized for quality and reputation of the knowledge source.
see attached document for full guidline.
Requirements: 3 days